Unforgettable Catalonia Beef Stew
- 1 4-oz. package pancetta chopped
- 1/3 cup olive oil divided
- 2 pounds beef stew meat cubed
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 medium onions chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 3 cups low sodium beef broth or use homemade
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 small cinnamon sticks
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 orange zested
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chopped
- Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Add the pancetta; cook and stir until browned then set aside. Add half of the olive oil to the Dutch oven and allow it to get hot. Add the beef cubes, season with salt and pepper and cook until browned on all sides. Add the vinegar and whisk up all of the browned bits from the bottom of the pan; set aside with the pancetta.
- Heat the remaining oil in the Dutch oven; add onions and garlic and cook until onions have softened.
- Return beef/pancetta mixture to the Dutch oven along with next 6 ingredients (broth through chocolate); season with salt and pepper.
- Bring mixture to a boil then reduce heat, cover and simmer for 1 hour or until beef cubes are fork-tender. Remove cinnamon sticks and serve.
LC SERVING SUGGESTION: Steamed baby Brussels sprouts and Faux-Tay-Toes (steam cauliflower till tender; drain; mash with butter, cream cheese and salt and pepper to taste till you get a mashed potatoes texture). SERVING SUGGESTION: Serve mashed russet potatoes instead of Faux-Tay-Toes. KOSHER: Omit pancetta. Make sure beef and broth are certified kosher. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure vinegar, broth and tomato paste are gluten free. NUTRITION: Per Serving: 767 Calories; 44g Fat; 66g Protein; 29g Carbohydrate; 8g Dietary Fiber; 145mg Cholesterol; 1067mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 9 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 4 1/2 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates. Points: 20
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!