- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium Idaho potato peeled and diced
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper de-seeded, de-ribbed and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 pounds extra-lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried cilantro
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 12 taco shells
- 1 cup shredded Pepper Jack cheese
- 1 cup salsa your favorite
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet with a tight-fitting lid over medium heat.
- Add potato, onion, bell pepper and garlic; cook and stir for 10 minutes. Add ground beef, cumin, chili powder, cilantro, salt, pepper and lime juice, breaking up the ground beef with a wooden spoon while it is cooking. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until ground beef is cooked through.
- Scoop meat/veggie mixture into taco shells; top with cheese and salsa.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Buttered corn on the cob and a relish tray of carrot and celery sticks, grape tomatoes and whole black olives. VEGETARIAN: Use TVP crumbles instead of ground beef and adjust cooking time as necessary. KOSHER: Use TVP crumbles instead of ground beef and adjust cooking time as necessary. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure salsa is gluten free and use gluten free taco shells. NUTRTION: Per Serving: 695 Calories; 49g Fat; 35g Protein; 29g Carbohydrate; 5g Dietary Fiber; 131mg Cholesterol; 572mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 4 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 7 Fat. Points: 19
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!