Stir-fry Beef with Broccoli and Leeks
- 1/2 cup sherry or use low sodium beef broth
- 3 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 1/2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 leek cleaned and thinly sliced
- 1 pound beef chuck roast cut into thin strips
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- In a small bowl, whisk together first 6 ingredients (broth through orange zest); set aside.
- Heat the oil in large skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Add gingerroot, garlic and leek; cook for 1 minute. Add beef; stir-fry until evenly browned. Add broccoli florets; cook for 5 to 7 minutes or until tender-crisp. Add soy sauce mixture then bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until smooth and thickened. Remove from heat and serve.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Serve over Cauli-Rice (process cauliflower in a blender or food processor until it resembles grains of rice; steam “rice” till tender; salt and pepper to taste and fluff with a fork). Add steamed baby carrots and snow peas on the side. VEGETARIAN: Substitute beef with sliced portabella mushrooms and use vegetable broth. KOSHER: Make sure beef is certified kosher. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure sherry (or broth) and soy sauce are gluten free. NUTRITION: Per Serving: 207 Calories; 9g Fat; 19g Protein; 8g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 48mg Cholesterol; 245mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 2 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 1 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!