Spicy Shrimp in a Tomato Broth
- 3 medium plum (Roma) tomatoes chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 shallot minced
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes or to taste
- 1/2 cup dry white wine or dry vermouth or water
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 16 jumbo shrimp peeled and deveined
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Small bunch fresh basil leaves chopped
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add garlic, shallot and crushed red pepper flakes; cook and stir until shallot has softened.
- Add vermouth or wine (or water), tomato paste, honey and shrimp; season with salt and pepper then bring to a boil, reduce heat and cook for 2 minutes or until shrimp are pink and opaque. Remove from heat and top with chopped basil; serve.
LC SERVING SUGGESTION: Sliced English cucumber and a big spinach salad. SERVING SUGGESTION: Add cheese bread sticks. KOSHER: Instead of shrimp, use cubed cod fillets. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure vermouth (or wine) and tomato paste are gluten free. NUTRITION: Per Serving: 166 Calories; 8g Fat; 7g Protein; 9g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 43mg Cholesterol; 70mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 1 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 1 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!