South of the Border Meatloaf
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small red bell pepper seeded and chopped
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 1/2 pounds extra lean ground beef
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 cup almond flour or almond meal
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup salsa
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Cook the onion, pepper and garlic until soft.
- Remove the mixture from the heat and set aside to cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together the ground beef through the salt and pepper. Lastly, mix in the cooled cooked onion mixture until incorporated.
- In a greased loaf pan form the meatloaf mixture into an even loaf. Spread over the salsa and bake in the oven for about 1 hour, or until the meatloaf is cooked though. Remove from the oven and let cool at least 10 minutes before slicing. Serve with a sprinkle of fresh cilantro.
LC SERVING SUGGESTION: Tossed green salad (lettuce-not iceberg-, salad veggies and low carb salad dressing). GLUTEN FREE: Make sure almond meal is gluten free. NUTRITION: 276 Calories; 19g Fat (57.7% calories from fat); 14g Protein; 17g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 73mg Cholesterol; 309mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain (Starch); 1 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 2 1/2 Fat.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!