Smoky Bacon and Corn Chowder
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 slices smoked bacon chopped, or unsmoked
- 1 large onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon tabasco
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 4 cups corn fresh or frozen
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups whole milk
- In a large pot heat olive oil over medium heat and sauté bacon, onion and garlic for 5 minutes add thyme, tabasco, parsley, sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, corn, chicken broth and milk and simmer 15 minutes.
- In a large blender or food processor, add half the soup and blend 1 to 2 minutes until smooth. Return to pot and stir into remaining soup.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Steamed cauliflower and a crusty loaf of bread with butter. VEGETARIAN: Omit bacon and use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure broth is gluten free. NUTRITION: 195 Calories; 9g Fat (38.2% calories from fat); 9g Protein; 23g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 5mg Cholesterol; 295mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain (Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 1 1/2 Fat.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!