Slow Cooker Pork in Spicy Orange Sauce
- 1 3 pound boneless pork loin
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 large jalapeño de-seeded and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic pressed
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 3/4 cup low sodium chicken broth or use homemade
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 orange zested and sectioned
- DO-AHEAD TIP – VEGETARIANS ONLY: Sort, rinse and soak tomorrow’s beans overnight.
- Season pork with salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add pork loin and brown on all sides (you don’t need to cook it through, you just want it nicely browned on the outside); transfer to a slow cooker.
- Add onion and jalapeno pepper to the skillet; sauté until onion is translucent. Add garlic and continue to cook for about 1 minute. Remove skillet from the heat; add orange juice and whisk up all of the browned bits from the bottom of the pan; pour liquid into the slow cooker along with the onion and jalapeno. Add chicken broth.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6 hours or until pork is fork-tender. Transfer to a serving platter and keep warm.
- Skim any fat from the slow cooker juices then transfer to a small saucepan. Whisk in cornstarch and cook until thickened. Whisk in lemon juice and orange zest then remove from the heat.
- Serve sauce over sliced pork; garnish with orange sections.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Serve over brown rice; add steamed broccoli on the side. VEGETARIAN: Use 1/2 pound dried white beans (soaked overnight) instead of pork. Use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth. KOSHER: Use 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves instead of pork. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure broth is gluten-free and use arrowroot powder instead of cornstarch. NUTRITION: Per serving: 409 Calories; 18g Fat; 49g Protein; 9g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 119mg Cholesterol; 164mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain (Starch); 7 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 1/2 Fruit; 1 1/2 Fat. Points: 10
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!