Sausages with Tuscan Lentils
- 2 cups green lentils rinsed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 small white onion chopped
- 1 medium carrot chopped
- 1 medium stalk celery chopped
- 1 15-oz. can tomato sauce
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 6 spicy Italian pork sausages cooked and sliced
- DO-AHEAD TIP: Cook and slice sausages.
- Place lentils and bay leaf in a large saucepan with a tight-fitting lid; cover with cold water. Bring to a boil then reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Drain, remove bay leaf and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, carrot and celery; sauté for 10 minutes or until softened.
- Add cooked lentils along with remaining ingredients (tomato sauce through sausages); bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Serve hot.
SERVING SUGGESTION: A big salad and some crusty bread and butter. VEGETARIAN: Use baby portabella mushrooms in place of sausages. KOSHER: Use chicken sausage in place of pork sausage. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure tomato sauce and sausages are gluten free. NUTRTION: Per Serving: 721 Calories; 45g Fat; 35g Protein; 45g Carbohydrate; 21g Dietary Fiber; 86mg Cholesterol; 1311mg Sodium. Exchanges: 2 1/2 Grain(Starch); 4 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Vegetable; 7 1/2 Fat. Points: 18
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!