Pork with Mustard and Thyme Butter
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pounds extra lean pork shoulder cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 large Idaho potatoes thinly sliced
- 2 large onions thinly sliced
- 2 large tart apples peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups dry white wine or use chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons coarse grain mustard
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add pork cubes; sear for 5 minutes per side or until golden.
- In a large crock cooker, place potatoes, onions and apples. Cover with pork cubes then pour wine over all.
- In a small bowl, mix together thyme, mustard, butter, salt and pepper; blend well then add on top of ingredients in slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours or until pork is fork-tender.
SERVING SUGGESTION: A medley of steamed baby carrots with broccoli and cauliflower florets. VEGETARIAN: Instead of pork, use 3 (15-ounce) cans of white beans, drained and rinsed. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure wine (or broth) and mustard are gluten-free. NUTRITION: 273 Calories; 15g Fat (55.5% calories from fat); 3g Protein; 24g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 21mg Cholesterol; 79mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 1/2 Fruit; 3 Fat.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!