Philly Steak Sandwiches
- 1 1/2 pounds beef tenderloin round steak or other steak (tenderized and sliced thin)
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 6 slices provolone cheese
- 2 big onions sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 6 hoagie rolls split
- First, we need to make the onions. In a skillet, heat one tablespoon of olive oil over medium high heat. Add onions and cook till soft and browned. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Heat the other tablespoon of olive oil over medium high heat and this time, add the thinly cut meat. Cook meat in single layers and in batches so you get the meat evenly browned. Salt and pepper to taste and when done cooking, sprinkle evenly with garlic powder.
- To assemble place a hoagie on your plate, add the hot meat, the cooked onions and top with a slice of provolone. Allow the heat to melt the cheese and serve. YUM!
SERVING SUGGESTION: Serve with a nice big green salad. VEGETARIAN: Skip the beef and use red and green bell peppers, shredded carrots, cabbage and chopped kale. Saute these veggies altogether WITH the onions, throw the garlic powder on top and serve on the hoagie with Provolone. KOSHER: Make sure that the beef is certified Kosher. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure that the garlic powder and cheese are gluten-free. Substitute gluten-free rolls for the regular hoagie rolls. NUTRITION: Per Serving: 641 Calories; 31g Fat; 60g Protein; 40g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 157mg Cholesterol; 902mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain (Starch); 7 1/2 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 3 1/2 Fat. Points: 18
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!