Penne with Meatballs
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1/3 cup bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 2 large eggs beaten
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 32-oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 1 pound penne pasta cooked according to package directions
- 1/3 cup grated fresh pecorino cheese
- In a large bowl, add beef, bread crumbs, milk, eggs and sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste. Stir to combine. Form into meatballs.
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. Sauté meatballs 8 to 10 minutes until cooked through.
- In a large pot, add remaining olive oil and sauté onion and garlic 5 minutes. Add tomatoes and simmer 15 minutes. Add meatballs and simmer 5 minutes. Toss cooked penne with sauce. Top with cheese.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Relish Tray - Carrot and celery sticks, cucumber spears, cherry tomatoes, and black olives. VEGETARIAN: Use Tofu or TVP in place of ground beef. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure bread crumbs and penne are gluten free. NUTRITION: 782 Calories; 35g Fat (40.5% calories from fat); 42g Protein; 74g Carbohydrate; 5g Dietary Fiber; 163mg Cholesterol; 727mg Sodium. Exchanges: 4 Grain (Starch); 3 1/2 Lean Meat; 2 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 3 1/2 Fat.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!