Mughlai Chicken Curry
- 1 1-inch piece ginger peeled
- 2 cloves garlic peeled
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 tablespoons almond flour or almond meal
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil plus extra
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs cut into bite-sized pieces
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 3 cardamom pods optional
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 8-oz. container plain Greek yogurt
- 3/4 cup low sodium chicken broth or use homemade
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- In a food processor, place gingerroot, garlic, cumin and coriander; puree until almost smooth. Add the almond flour/meal and water; puree until well combined then set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken, season with salt and pepper then cook and stir until browned on the outsides (but not cooked all the way through); remove from pan and set aside.
- To the same pan, add a little more olive oil along with the cardamom pods (if using), cloves, cinnamon stick and bay leaf; toss to coat.
- Add the onion to the skillet and cook until softened and starting to brown; add to slow cooker along with the pureed almond flour/meal mixture, browned chicken, yogurt and broth; stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 4 hours or on LOW for 6 hours or until chicken is fork-tender and cooked through. Add cream, raisins, honey and almonds; cook for 15 minutes. Remove bay leaf and serve.
LC SERVING SUGGESTION: Serve over Cauli-Rice (process cauliflower in a blender or food processor until it resembles grains of rice; steam “rice” till tender; drain; salt and pepper to taste and fluff with a fork). Add steamed broccoli spears. SERVING SUGGESTION: Serve over brown rice instead of Cauli-Rice. KOSHER: Omit yogurt and cream and increase chicken broth by this total amount. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure yogurt and broth are gluten free. NUTRITION: Per Serving: 556 Calories; 28g Fat; 51g Protein; 30g Carbohydrate; 6g Dietary Fiber; 126mg Cholesterol; 257mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 6 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 1/2 Fruit; 1/2 Non-Fat Milk; 4 1/2 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!