Linguine with Eggplant and Olive Sauce
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 medium eggplant peeled and chopped
- 1 15-oz. can plum tomatoes chopped
- 1/4 cup red wine or low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup Olives pitted
- red pepper flakes to taste
- 2 teaspoons thyme
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup grated fresh Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1 pound linguine pasta cooked according to package directions
- In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium heat and sauté onions and garlic for 5 minutes, add the next 7 ingredients (eggplant through salt and pepper) and simmer for 25 minutes.
- In a large blender or food processor, blend sauce 1 to 2 minutes until smooth. Return to pot, stir in ricotta cheese and cook over medium heat 1 to minutes until warm.
- Toss pasta with sauce and top with Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese.
SERVING SUGGESTION: A big salad (lettuce –not iceberg-, salad veggies, salad dressing). VEGETARIAN: No changes necessary. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure tomatoes and wine or broth and pasta are gluten free. NUTRITION: 133 Calories; 10g Fat (65.7% calories from fat); 3g Protein; 8g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 10mg Cholesterol; 27mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain (Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Vegetable; 1 1/2 Fat.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!