“Leftover” Ham Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 1 medium red onion chopped
- 2 medium stalks celery chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper de-seeded, de-ribbed, chopped
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 14.5-oz. can diced tomatoes
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth or use homemade
- 2 pounds ham
- 1 15-oz. can red kidney beans drained and rinsed
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat until hot.
- Add garlic, onion and celery; cook until softened. Add bell pepper and chili powder; cook for 3 minutes.
- Transfer mixture to a crock cooker then add remaining ingredients (tomatoes through black pepper). Cover and cook on HIGH for 6 hours or on LOW for 8 hours, or until ham is fork-tender. Slice ham before serving.
LC SERVING SUGGESTION: A relish tray of carrot and celery sticks, grape tomatoes, cucumber spears and whole black olives. SERVING SUGGESTION: Add some crusty bread with butter. KOSHER: Instead of ham, use a kosher beef roast. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure canned tomatoes, broth and beans are gluten free. NUTRITION: Per Serving: 632 Calories; 28g Fat; 58g Protein; 36g Carbohydrate; 10g Dietary Fiber; 129mg Cholesterol; 3948mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 7 1/2 Lean Meat; 2 Vegetable; 2 Fat. Points: 16
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!