Italian Beef Stew
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 beef chuck roast cut into 1-inch cubes, 2-lb.
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 3 cups low sodium beef broth or use homemade
- 2 cups red wine or use additional broth
- 1 15-oz. can tomato sauce
- 1 butternut squash peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add beef cubes and sauté for 5 minutes or until browned; remove from skillet and set aside. To the same skillet, add carrots, celery and onion; season with salt and pepper and sauté for 10 minutes.
- Place all ingredients in a slow cooker along with remaining ingredients (broth through squash). Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours or until beef and vegetables are fork-tender.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Serve steamed broccoli spears on the side. VEGETARIAN: Instead of beef, use 2 (15-oz.) cans drained and rinsed white beans and use vegetable broth instead of beef broth. KOSHER: Make sure beef is certified kosher. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure broth, wine and tomato sauce are gluten free. NUTRTION: Per Serving: 549 Calories; 33g Fat; 32g Protein; 20g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 87mg Cholesterol; 634mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 4 Lean Meat; 2 Vegetable; 4 1/2 Fat. Points: 13
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!