Cypriot Style Meatballs
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 2 1/2 cups almond flour or almond meal
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 medium red onion chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano or 1 tablespoons dried
- 1 hndful mint leaves chopped (or 2 tablespoons dried)
- 2 eggs slightly beaten
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- DO-AHEAD TIP: Refrigerate meatball mixture for 20 minutes (see recipe).
- Place all ingredients in a large bowl. Using your very clean hands, blend thoroughly; cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with foil wrap. Shape ground beef mixture into small round balls, placing them on the baking sheet as you go.
- Bake meatballs for 30 minutes or until browned and cooked through. Remove from the oven and serve.
LC SERVING SUGGESTION: Stir-fried zucchini and yellow squash. Add a big salad of mixed baby greens, sliced avocado, sliced plum (Roma) tomato and crumbled Feta cheese, tossed with red wine vinaigrette. SERVING SUGGESTION: Add warm, buttered pita bread. KOSHER: Make sure ground beef is certified kosher and substitute chicken broth for the milk. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure vinegar is gluten free. NUTRITION: Per Serving: 882 Calories; 55g Fat; 69g Protein; 32g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 238mg Cholesterol; 220mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 9 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 5 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!