Crock Cooker BBQ Chicken
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons dark molasses
- 1 tablespoon whole grain mustard
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 2 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 6 whole wheat burger buns split and lightly toasted
- Prepare barbecue sauce: In a medium bowl, whisk together first 11 ingredients, (ketchup through black pepper) until smooth; set aside.
- In a crock cooker, place chopped onion and chicken; add reserved barbecue sauce and stir well to thoroughly coat chicken.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours. Shred chicken with 2 forks then blend with crock cooker juices. Fill burger buns with shredded chicken mixture.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Sweet Potato Fries (peel and cut sweet potatoes into “fries”; toss with olive oil and bake on a cookie sheet in a preheated 425-degree oven, turning once, till tender. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and garlic powder). Add a big bowl of coleslaw (use a ready-made mix and toss with light mayo and a little rice vinegar). VEGETARIAN: Instead of chicken, bake large russet potatoes and garnish with your favorite toppings. Skip the Sweet Potato Fries, but add the coleslaw (above). KOSHER: No changes necessary. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure ketchup, molasses and mustard are gluten free and use gluten free burger buns, or skip. NUTRITION: Per Serving: 422 Calories; 5g Fat; 50g Protein; 41g Carbohydrate; 5g Dietary Fiber; 110mg Cholesterol; 713mg Sodium. Exchanges: 2 Grain(Starch); 6 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 1/2 Fat; 1 Other Carbohydrates.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!