Comforting Chili Mac
- 1 1/2 pounds 95% lean ground beef
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 4 cloves garlic pressed
- 21.75 ounces low sodium beef broth
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni or small shell pasta
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 21.75 ounces canned diced tomatoes undrained
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano crumbled
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper or to taste
- 1/3 cup sliced green onions
- 1/4 cup shredded low fat Cheddar cheese optional
- In a large saucepan with a tight-fitting lid, cook beef, onion and garlic over medium heat for 5 minutes or until beef is browned on the outside and no longer pink in the center, stirring occasionally to turn and break up the beef.
- Pour into a colander and rinse under hot water to remove excess fat; drain well.
- Return beef mixture to saucepan. Raise heat to high and stir in broth, macaroni and salt; bring to a boil then reduce heat, cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Stir in undrained tomatoes, bell pepper, chili powder, cumin, oregano and cayenne pepper. Cover and cook for 10 minutes or until macaroni and bell pepper are tender.
- To serve, ladle into bowls; sprinkle with the green onions and cheese.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Serve with a spinach salad and whole grain rolls. VEGETARIAN: Use TVP crumbles and vegetable broth. KOSHER: Make sure beef is certified kosher and use your favorite soy cheese (optional). GLUTEN FREE: Make sure broth, pasta and canned tomatoes are gluten free. NUTRITION: Per Serving: 428 Calories; 4g Fat; 22g Protein; 23g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 32mg Cholesterol; 647mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain (Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable. Points: 8
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!