Chicken Breast Caprese
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 6-oz. boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 14-oz. can tomato sauce
- 6 basil leaves thinly sliced
- 6 tablespoons shredded Italian cheese blend
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet with a tight-fitting lid over medium-high heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper then add to the skillet and cook for 4 to 5 minutes per side or until browned; remove from skillet and set aside.
- In the same skillet, heat 2 teaspoons of olive oil; add garlic and cook until soft. Add crushed red pepper flakes and tomato sauce then bring mixture to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes. Return chicken to the pan and check for seasoning.
- Over each chicken breast half, sprinkle first the basil, then the cheese; baste each with some of the sauce. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and cheese has melted. Serve immediately.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Angel Hair pasta and a big salad of mixed baby greens, sliced red onion and avocado, tossed with red wine vinaigrette. VEGETARIAN: Use non-breaded faux chicken patties and adjust cooking time accordingly. KOSHER: Omit the cheese. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure tomato sauce is gluten free. NUTRITION: Per Serving: 264 Calories; 8g Fat; 42g Protein; 5g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 105mg Cholesterol; 540mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 5 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 1 Fat.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!