Stuffed Sausage and Apple Acorn Squash
- 2 large acorn squash halved and seeded
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 tablespoon ghee
- 1 pound ground sausage
- 1 large shallot minced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 large stalk celery chopped
- 1 cup diced apple
- 1 teaspoon minced rosemary
- 1 teaspoon minced thyme
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Rub the inside and outside of each squash half with salt and pepper and ghee.
- On a large baking sheet, place the squash halves, cut side up, and place in the oven. Bake for 15 minutes, until fork tender.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add the sausage and cook for 5 minutes, until brown. To the sausage, add the remaining ingredients (shallot through thyme) and sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste and stir. Cook for 10 minutes, until sausage is cooked through and vegetables are tender.
- Spoon sausage mixture into the cooked squash halves and serve.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Faux-tay-toes (Steam cauliflower till tender; drain; mash with grass fed butter, salt and pepper to taste till you get a mashed potatoes texture. NUTRITION: 480 Calories; 36g Fat (66.5% calories from fat); 12g Protein; 29g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 62mg Cholesterol; 584mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain (Starch); 1 1/2 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 1/2 Fruit; 6 1/2 Fat.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!