Chicken “Tortilla-less” Soup
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 14-oz. cans full fat unsweetened coconut milk
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs chopped
- 2 cups chopped cabbage
- 1 cup cauliflower florets
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 large avocado peeled and sliced
- In a large pot over medium heat, heat coconut oil. To the pot, add the onion and garlic and cook for 5 minutes, until tender.
- To the onion mixture, add the next 8 ingredients (chicken broth through mushrooms) and stir. Cover soup and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 25 minutes, until chicken is cooked through and vegetables are tender.
- Using a large soup spoon, spoon soup into bowls and top with avocado and cilantro. Serve warm.
SERVING SUGGESTION: A Big Salad tossed with Leanne’s Basic Vinaigrette (In a large bowl, toss together torn lettuce (not Iceberg - no nutrition) and salad veggies of your choice. In a small bowl, whisk together 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar, 1 clove pressed garlic and a pinch of dried basil and oregano; drizzle dressing over salad.) NUTRITION: 314 Calories; 16g Fat (44.0% calories from fat); 33g Protein; 13g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 95mg Cholesterol; 512mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 2 Fat.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!