Chicken, Carrot and Ginger Soup
- 4 tablespoons coconut oil divided
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 medium sweet onion diced
- 3 large carrots peeled and chopped
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth or use bone broth
- 2 cups water
- 6 cups chopped kale
- 4 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 inch piece fresh ginger peeled and whole
- 2 large bay leaves
- Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat and add two tablespoons of coconut oil.
- Season chicken thighs liberally with salt and pepper, and add to the skillet. Brown chicken 4-5 minutes each side, until thighs are cooked through. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add remaining two tablespoons of coconut oil to the pan. Add garlic, onion, and carrots and sauté 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until vegetables begin to soften.
- Add chicken broth, water, kale, fresh rosemary, thyme, and ginger. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 45 minutes, until fragrant and thicker.
- Meanwhile, shred chicken with two forks and add back to the soup during the last few minutes of cooking time. Discard ginger and bay leaves before serving soup in bowls.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!