Chicken and Leek Chowder
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 pound chicken breast cubed
- 2 large leeks chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 large stalks celery chopped
- 2 cups cubed rutabaga
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot
- 2 cups full fat coconut milk
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- In a large pot, heat the coconut oil. To the oil, add the chicken, leeks and garlic. Cook for 5 minutes, until chicken is brown.
- To the chicken, add the remaining ingredients and stir. Cover pot and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 25 minutes, until chicken is cooked through and vegetables are tender. Serve warm.
SERVING SUGGESTION: A big green salad with Leanne’s Vinaigrette (In a small bowl, whisk together 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar, 1 clove pressed garlic and a pinch of dried basil and oregano; drizzle dressing over salad.) NUTRITION: 499 Calories; 30g Fat (54.7% calories from fat); 35g Protein; 21g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 66mg Cholesterol; 403mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain (Starch); 4 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Vegetable; 1 1/2 Fat.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!