Zucchini and Basil Soup
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large red onion minced
- 3 medium carrots minced
- 2 medium stalks celery minced
- 6 medium zucchini cut into 1/4-inch slices
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 6 cups low sodium vegetable broth or use homemade
- 1 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 cup grated fresh Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- In a large saucepan with a tight-fitting lid, heat the olive oil over medium heat until hot.
- Add onion, carrots and celery; saute for 7 minutes. Add zucchini, salt and pepper; saute for 5 minutes.
- Add broth; bring mixture to a boil then reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Add basil; simmer for 4 minutes.
- Transfer soup to a food processor or blender and puree until smooth. Serve garnished with cheese.
SERVING SUGGESTION: A big salad of mixed baby greens, sliced red onion, cucumber, tomato and avocado, tossed with red wine vinaigrette. Add garlic bread sticks. VEGETARIAN: No changes necessary. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure broth is gluten free. NUTRITION: Per Serving: 196 Calories; 9g Fat; 17g Protein; 14g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 5mg Cholesterol; 673mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 1/2 Lean Meat; 2 Vegetable; 1 1/2 Fat. Points: 5
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!