Sausage and Sweet Potato Chili
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 pound pork sausage links chopped
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 medium jalapeños
- 2 medium sweet potatoes peeled and chopped
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 14-oz. cans diced tomatoes
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons chopped oregano
- In a large pot over medium heat, heat coconut oil.
- To the pot, add the first 4 ingredients (sausage through jalapeno) and cook for 10 minutes, until sausage is brown and vegetables are tender.
- To the pot, add the remaining ingredients (sweet potatoes through oregano) and stir. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 25 minutes, until chili is hot. Serve warm.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Roasted veggies. (Toss any root vegetable (except white potatoes) or combination – plus large Brussels sprouts halved lengthwise, and broccoli (all should be the same sizebeets take a little longer to cook) in olive oil, salt, pepper and a choice of herbs/spices (if desired). Spread in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper; roast in a preheated 400- degree oven, turning once, until tender.) NUTRITION: 415 Calories; 28g Fat (59.1% calories from fat); 16g Protein; 28g Carbohydrate; 5g Dietary Fiber; 39mg Cholesterol; 795mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain (Starch); 1 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 5 Fat.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!