Cabbage Enchilada Casserole
- 1 large head cabbage core removed
- 1/2 cup low sodium beef broth or use bone broth
- 1 6-oz. can tomato paste
- 1 4-oz. can diced green chilis
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Add the cabbage; cook for 4 to 5 minutes then drain and set aside to cool. Carefully remove whole leaves.
- In a small saucepan, combine beef broth, tomato paste and green chilies over medium heat; simmer for 3 to 4 minutes then remove from heat and set aside. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat; add the onion and cook for 2 minutes or until translucent. Add ground beef, crumbling with a spoon as it cooks. When beef is almost cooked through, add garlic and all seasonings (cumin through black pepper).
- Cook, stirring well, for 1 minute. Add water and cook until excess liquid has evaporated. In a 9- x 13-inch baking dish, place a thin layer of sauce mixture, followed by a single layer of cabbage leaves. Next, layer half of the meat mixture then one-third of the sauce, followed by another layer of cabbage leaves. Repeat this process once more, finishing with sauce. Bake for 35 minutes and serve
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!