Burgers with Lemon Beets
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 small clove garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 large onion sliced
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 2 large beets shredded
- 8 large leaves Romaine lettuce
- In a medium bowl, mix the first 4 ingredients (beef through chili powder). Form beef mixture into patties. Heat grill to high heat and place burgers on the grill. Cook for 10 minutes on each side, until burgers reach desired level of doneness.
- In a large skillet, over medium heat, heat coconut oil. To the skillet, add the onion, lemon zest, lemon juice, honey and beets. Season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste and cook for 5 minutes, until vegetables are tender.
- Place burgers on lettuce leaves and top with sautéed onion and beets. Serve warm.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Sweet potato fries. (Peel sweet potatoes and cut into “fries”; toss with olive oil and bake on a cookie sheet in a preheated 425-degree oven, turning once, until tender; season to taste with salt, pepper and chili powder.) NUTRITION: 289 Calories; 7g Fat (17.3% calories from fat); 27g Protein; 46g Carbohydrate; 29g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 166mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain (Starch); 9 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!