Beef and Leek Vegetable Soup
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 2 large leeks chopped (white and light green parts only)
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 large carrots peeled and diced
- 1 small head cauliflower chopped
- 1 large stalk celery diced
- 4 cups low sodium beef broth or use homemade
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- Melt the coconut oil in a large saucepan with a tight-fitting lid over medium heat. Add thyme, leeks and garlic; cook for 5 minutes. Add ground beef; cook for 10 minutes, chopping up beef into small pieces with a wooden spoon.
- Add remaining ingredients (carrots through cumin) then reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until beef is cooked through and vegetables are tender.
SERVING SUGGESTION: A big salad tossed with Leanne’s Basic Vinaigrette. NUTRITION: 495 Calories; 35g Fat (62.3% calories from fat); 32g Protein; 15g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 96mg Cholesterol; 188mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain (Starch); 4 Lean Meat; 2 Vegetable; 5 1/2 Fat.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!