Turkey Sloppy Joes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1 pound lean ground turkey or use ground chicken
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 medium stalk celery finely chopped
- 1 large carrot chopped
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3/4 cup water
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat until hot.
- Add ground turkey; season with salt and pepper then cook for 8 minutes or until browned; set aside.
- Add remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil to the pan, followed by the onion, celery and carrot; cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes or until onion is translucent and celery and carrot have softened.
- Return ground turkey to the skillet then stir in honey, ketchup, mustard, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce and chili powder.
- In a small bowl, whisk together cornstarch and water; gradually stir into ground turkey mixture. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes to allow flavors to blend. Check for seasoning before serving.
LC SERVING SUGGESTION: Turnip Fries (peel and cut turnips into “fries”; toss with olive oil and bake on a cookie sheet in a preheated 425-degree oven, turning once, until tender. Season to taste with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Add a big green salad on the side. SERVING SUGGESTION: Serve Sloppy Joe mixture on lightly toasted whole wheat burger buns. Add Sweet Potato Fries (same as Turnip Fries, but add chili powder to the mix). KOSHER: Use vegetarian Worcestershire sauce. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure ketchup, mustard, vinegar and Worcestershire sauce are gluten free. Use arrowroot powder instead of cornstarch. NUTRITION: Per Serving: 323 Calories; 19g Fat; 25g Protein; 17g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 73mg Cholesterol; 623mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain (Starch); 3 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 2 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates. Points: 9
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!