Taco Zucchini Boats
- olive oil to coat baking dish
- 1/4 cup salsa
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound 95% lean ground beef
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 small onion minced
- 2 tablespoons minced green bell pepper
- 3 ounces tomato sauce
- 4 medium zucchini cut in half lengthwise with centers scooped out
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced fat Mexican blend cheese
- Aluminum foil
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Preheat oven to 400. Coat a large baking dish with olive oil. Spread the salsa on the bottom of the prepared baking dish; set aside.
- Heat the 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add ground beef and seasonings (garlic powder through oregano); cook, breaking meat up with a wooden spoon, until almost cooked through. Add onion and bell pepper; cook until soft. Stir in tomato sauce then bring mixture to a simmer and cook for 3 to 4 minutes; remove from heat and set aside.
- Fill hollowed-out zucchini with meat mixture, packing as tightly as possible. Place stuffed zucchini in prepared baking dish and sprinkle with cheese. Cover with foil and bake for 25 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for 10 minutes more or until golden brown and cooked through.
- Sprinkle with chopped cilantro and serve.
LC SERVING SUGGESTION: Serve a big green salad on the side. SERVING SUGGESTION: Add warm, buttered corn muffins. KOSHER: Make sure ground beef is certified kosher. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure tomato sauce is gluten free. NUTRITION: Per Serving: 384 Calories; 27g Fat; 25g Protein; 12g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 78mg Cholesterol; 292mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain (Starch); 3 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Vegetable; 3 1/2 Fat. Points: 10
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!