Sautéed Beef with Squash Medley
- 4 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 medium zucchini finely chopped
- 2 medium yellow squash finely chopped
- 4 plum tomatoes de-seeded and finely chopped*, Roma
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat until hot. Add onion; cook for 3 minutes or until translucent. Add garlic; cook for 1 minute. Add ground beef; season with the oregano, salt and pepper then cook, breaking up with a wooden spoon, until browned. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Heat remaining 2 tablespoons of oil in the skillet. Add zucchini, yellow squash and tomatoes; season to taste with salt and pepper then cook and stir for 8 minutes or until vegetables start to soften. Return ground beef to the pan; stir to combine. Continue to cook for 5 minutes, to allow the flavors to combine. Check for seasoning and serve.
- *To de-seed a tomato, simply cut in half and squeeze the seeds out over a bowl or your sink. You can do so over a sieve on top of a bowl in order to separate the seeds from the juice. You can then add the juice to the recipe even if no liquid is called for.
LC SERVING SUGGESTION: Serve a big spinach salad on the side. SERVING SUGGESTION: Add some garlic bread sticks. KOSHER: Make sure ground beef is certified kosher. GLUTEN FREE: No changes necessary. NUTRITION: Per Serving: 628 Calories; 49g Fat; 33g Protein; 13g Carbohydrate; 5g Dietary Fiber; 128mg Cholesterol; 173mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain (Starch); 4 1/2 Lean Meat; 2 Vegetable; 7 Fat. Points: 17
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!