Lentils with Sausage
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 small onions diced
- 2 large carrots diced
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 2 12-oz. can plum tomatoes chopped
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 3 teaspoons dried basil
- 3 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 1/2 cup white wine or use apple cider
- 1 1/2 cup dried green lentils
- 4 1/2 cups low sodium chicken broth or use homemade
- 1 1/2 pound spicy sausage cut into 1 inch slices
- 1/4 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese + 2 tablespoons
- In a medium skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and carrots; saute for 5 minutes. Add garlic and tomatoes; saute for 5 minutes. Sprinkle mixture with salt and pepper then transfer to a slow cooker. Cover and cook on LOW for 7 hours.
- Garnish soup with cheese and serve hot.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Serve crusty bread and butter on the side. VEGETARIAN: Skip the sausage and use vegetable broth. KOSHER: Use turkey sausage and skip the cheese. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure canned tomatoes, wine (or cider), broth and sausage are gluten free. NUTRITION: Per Serving: 563 Calories; 37g Fat; 26g Protein; 28g Carbohydrate; 12g Dietary Fiber; 54mg Cholesterol; 875mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 3 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Vegetable; 6 1/2 Fat. Points: 14
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!