Green Enchilada Casserole
- 3 whole chicken breasts with bones and skin
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 large onions diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 pounds fresh tomatillos papery coverings removed (or you can use green or red tomatoes)
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 2 4-oz. cans mild green chilis drained and chopped
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 12 corn tortillas cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 pound Monterey Jack cheese grated
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup salsa
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Place chicken in a large saucepan; cover with water and cook over medium heat for 30 minutes. Remove from saucepan, set aside to cool then discard bones and skin and cut meat into cubes.
- Heat the olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add onions; sauté for 5 minutes. Add garlic and tomatillos; simmer for 5 minutes. Add cilantro, green chilies, salt and pepper; transfer mixture to a blender or food processor and puree until smooth.
- Lightly coat a 9- x 13-inch baking dish with olive oil. Layer ingredients in the following order: half of the tortillas, half of the sauce, half of the chicken then half of the cheese. Repeat process for a second layer, ending with cheese; bake, uncovered, for 1 hour.
- Serve with sour cream and salsa.
SERVING SUGGESTION: A salad of torn Romaine lettuce, sliced green onions and avocado and orange sections, tossed with extra virgin olive oil and lime juice. VEGETARIAN: Instead of chicken, use 3 (15-oz) cans drained and rinsed pinto beans. KOSHER: Omit cheese and sour cream. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure canned green chilies and the salsa are gluten free. Use gluten free tortillas. NUTRITION: Per Serving: 705 Calories; 38g Fat; 52g Protein; 41g Carbohydrate; 7g Dietary Fiber; 144mg Cholesterol; 673mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain (Starch); 6 1/2 Lean Meat; 3 Vegetable; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 5 ½ Fat. Points: 18
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!