- 1 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 pound firm white fish fresh or frozen
- 1 medium red onion diced
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro + 2 tablespoons
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 4-oz. can mild green chilis drained
- 12 corn tortillas warmed
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 medium avocados pitted, peeled and diced
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a small bowl, combine seasonings (chili powder, salt and pepper); rub mixture into both sides of fish then place it in a baking dish. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork. Reset oven temperature to 325 degrees.
- Allow fish to cool for 5 minutes then cut it into cubes and place in a medium bowl; add onion, cilantro, lime juice and chilies; toss well.
- Fill tortillas with fish mixture and top with cheese; place on a baking sheet and bake for 5 minutes until cheese has melted. Serve with diced avocado.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Buttered corn on the cob and a relish tray of carrot, celery and jicama sticks, cucumber spears and grape tomatoes. VEGETARIAN: Instead of fish, use 2 (15-oz) cans black beans, drained and rinsed. KOSHER: No changes necessary. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure canned chilies are gluten free and use gluten free tortillas. NUTRITION: Per Serving: 281 Calories; 12g Fat; 22g Protein; 23g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 49mg Cholesterol; 237mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 2 1/2 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 2 Fat. Points: 7
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!