Creamy Turkey-Tomato Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 large onion diced
- 4 medium cloves garlic minced
- 1 medium head cabbage chopped
- 1 medium head broccoli chopped
- 2 large red bell peppers seeded and chopped
- 2 14.5-oz. cans fire-roasted tomatoes
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups browned ground turkey
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 14 ounces heavy cream
- DO-AHEAD TIP: Brown ground turkey.
- In a large pot with a lid, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Cook the onion and garlic until soft. Add in the cabbage, broccoli and peppers and cook until slightly softened.
- Stir in the next 6 ingredients (tomatoes through cumin) and bring the mixture to a simmer. Cook the soup on a simmer for 20-25 minutes, or until all the veggies are tender.
- Stir in the cream and cook for 5 minutes more. Serve hot.
LC SERVING SUGGESTION: A tossed green salad (lettuce -not iceberg-, salad veggies and salad dressing). GLUTEN FREE: Make sure the canned tomatoes and chicken broth are gluten free. NUTRITION: 486 Calories; 30g Fat; 41g Protein; 25g Carbohydrate; 8g Dietary Fiber; 175mg Cholesterol; 508mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain (Starch); 4 1/2 Lean Meat; 5 Vegetable; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 3 Fat.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!