Corn Chowder with Ham
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 3 medium Idaho potatoes peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 large onion diced
- 2 medium stalks celery diced
- 2 medium carrots diced
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup cubed cooked ham or pancetta
- 1 14-oz. can creamed corn with liquid
- 14 ounces frozen whole kernel corn
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup half and half
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 drops hot sauce
- Heat the olive oil and butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add next 5 ingredients (potatoes through black pepper); sauté for 10 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients (ham through hot sauce); simmer for 10 minutes or until chowder has slightly thickened.
- Serve hot.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Grilled cheese sandwiches and a relish tray of carrot and celery sticks, grape tomatoes and whole black olives. VEGETARIAN: Omit ham. KOSHER: Omit ham. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure creamed corn and hot sauce are gluten free. NUTRITION: Per Serving: 307 Calories; 15g Fat; 12g Protein; 36g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 44mg Cholesterol; 429mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain (Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 1/2 Non-Fat Milk; 2 1/2 Fat. Points: 9
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!