Braised Short Ribs
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 pounds beef short ribs
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 6 slices bacon chopped
- 2 medium onions diced
- 3 medium carrots diced
- 5 cloves garlic peeled and cut in half
- 1 1/2 cups dark beer or use apple cider
- 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 4 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth or use homemade
- Heat the olive in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add beef short ribs and cook for 3 to 5 minutes per side or until lightly browned; salt and pepper to taste then remove from skillet and place in a large slow cooker.
- To the same skillet, add bacon, onions and carrots; cook and stir for 5 minutes. Add garlic clove halves and cook for 5 minutes. Transfer skillet contents to slow cooker along with beer, soy sauce, Worcestershire and broth.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 7 hours or until ribs are tender and falling off the bones.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Mashed Idaho potatoes and steamed baby Brussels sprouts tossed with a little butter and ground nutmeg. VEGETARIAN: Instead of beef short ribs, use 3 (15-oz) cans drained and rinsed white beans and adjust cooking time as needed. KOSHER: Make sure beef is certified kosher and skip the bacon. Use vegetarian Worcestershire sauce. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure bacon, beer (or cider), soy sauce, Worcestershire and broth are gluten free. NUTRITION: Per Serving: 808 Calories; 47g Fat; 75g Protein; 14g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 181mg Cholesterol; 836mg Sodium. Exchanges: 10 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Vegetable; 3 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates. Points: 20
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!