Blood Orange Maple Chicken Livers
- 4 medium blood oranges juiced
- 3 teaspoons pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups low sodium beef broth
- 2 shallots chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 3 pounds chicken livers (or use chicken thighs)
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, whisk together all ingredients except pot roast and ghee.
- In a large skillet, heat ghee over high heat. Once melted, quickly sear all sides of the chicken livers, for about 20 to 30 seconds per side or until you get a nice fast golden brown crust on all sides.
- Place livers in a greased baking dish and pour orange mixture over the top. Cook for 25-30 minutes, or until the chicken livers are cooked through. Serve with cooking juices.
SERVING SUGGESTIONS: Serve with steamed carrots and peas. NUTRITION: 481 Calories; 19g Fat; 47g Protein; 31g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 1005mg Cholesterol; 201mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain (Starch); 6 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Vegetable; 1/2 Fruit; 2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!