Black Bean Quesadillas
- 1 15-oz. can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 medium onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup diced tomato
- 1/2 cup diced green bell pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup frozen whole kernel corn thawed
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 3/4 cup grated Monterey jack cheese
- 6 8-inch flour tortillas
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a medium saucepan with a tight-fitting lid, combine first 9 ingredients (beans through vinegar); bring mixture to a boil then reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes. Coarsely mash beans, leaving some whole. Add corn, cilantro and cheese. Spread even amounts of bean mixture on 3 tortillas then top with remaining 3 tortillas.
- Place quesadillas on a large baking sheet; bake for 10 minutes or until tops start to brown; carefully turn quesadillas and continue to bake them for 5 to 7 minutes or until tops start to brown and cheese has melted. Allow quesadillas to cool then cut into wedges.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Serve fresh guacamole and baked corn tortilla chips on the side: In a medium bowl, mash together ripe avocados, garlic powder, salsa and a little salt; arrange tortilla chips around bowl and serve. Add a relish tray of carrot, celery and jicama sticks, cucumber spears and whole black olives. VEGETARIAN: No changes necessary. KOSHER: No changes necessary. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure beans and vinegar are gluten free. NUTRITION: Per Serving: 571 Calories; 11g Fat; 27g Protein; 94g Carbohydrate; 14g Dietary Fiber; 13mg Cholesterol; 428mg Sodium. Exchanges: 6 Grain; 1 1/2 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 1 1/2 Fat. Points: 14
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!