Baja Style Turkey Chili
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds ground turkey
- 1 cup diced red onion
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 small poblano pepper diced
- 1 1/2 cups diced red bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3 1/2 cups low sodium chicken broth or use bone broth
- 1 tablespoon raw honey
- 3 cups chopped spinach
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 cups diced avocado
- 1/2 cup sliced scallions
- In a large pot, heat the oil over medium heat. In the pot, cook turkey until lightly browned, 4 to 5 minutes. Remove turkey from pot and set aside.
- In the pot, sauté onion, garlic, and peppers for 3 minutes, then stir in tomato paste. Cook vegetables and tomato paste for 2 minutes, stirring often.
- To the pot add the next 7 ingredients (chili powder through honey). Return turkey to the pot and stir.
- Over medium heat, simmer chili for 25 minutes. To the pot add the spinach and stir. Simmer chili 5 minutes longer, or until spinach is cooked and vegetables are tender. Season chili to taste with salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl, mix together remaining ingredients.
- In individual bowls, place chili. Garnish chili with avocado and scallions and then serve.
SERVING SUGGESTION: A big green salad with Leanne’s Vinaigrette (In a small bowl, whisk together 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar, 1 clove pressed garlic and a pinch of dried basil and oregano; drizzle dressing over salad.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!