5 Spice Beef and Peppers
- 2 pounds beef chuck roast cut into 2 inch cubes
- 1/2 tablespoon Chinese five spice powder
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth or use bone broth
- 1 teaspoon arrowroot
- 2 cups diced red bell pepper
- 1 cup diced red onion
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- In a large bowl, mix together beef, 5 spice powder, and garlic.
- In a large sauté pan, heat oil over high heat. In the pan, sear beef on all sides until lightly browned, 2 to 3 minutes. In a crock cooker, place beef.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together broth and arrowroot. To the crock cooker, add contents of bowl.
- To the crock cooker add the next 3 ingredients (red pepper through pepper flakes) and stir. Cover and cook on LOW for 3 hours and 30 minutes, or until beef is cooked and fork tender. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- In individual bowls, place beef with peppers and garnish with cilantro, then serve.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Cauli-rice (Process cauliflower in a blender or food processor until it resembles grains of rice; steam “rice” till tender; drain; salt and pepper to taste and butter, fluff with a fork.)
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!