North African Spiced Pork
- 2 pounds pork shoulder cubed into 2 inch pieces, trimmed of excess fat
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/2 tablespoon melted ghee
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups low sodium beef broth or use bone broth
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups red pearl onions peeled
- 1 medium head cauliflower cut into florets
- 1/2 cup cooked and chopped bacon
- 4 cups chopped kale
- 1 bay leaf
- pinch red pepper flakes
- In a large bowl, combine pork and toss with salt, pepper, and rosemary, coating pork on all sides. In a large sauté pan over medium-high heat, heat ghee until hot. Cook pork in hot ghee until well browned on all sides, 3 to 5 minutes. To pan add minced garlic and cook 1 minute more. Remove pork from pan and place in crock cooker. In a medium mixing bowl, combine broth, tomato paste, coriander, cumin, and cinnamon, whisking to combine. Pour over the pork in crock cooker. To crock cooker, add pearl onion, cauliflower, bacon, kale, and bay leaf. Cover and cook on LOW for 5 hours or until the pork is fully cooked and fork tender. Remove bay leaf. Before serving, fold in red pepper flakes.
Serving Suggestion: Big Salad tossed with Leanne’s Basic Vinaigrette (1 head lettuce (any kind but not iceberg), torn, Salad veggies of choice, 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar, 1 garlic clove, pressed, Dried basil, to taste, Dried oregano, to taste: Directions- In a large bowl, toss together torn lettuce and salad veggies of your choice. In a small bowl, whisk together extra virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic and a pinch of dried basil and oregano; drizzle dressing over salad.) & Faux-Tay-Toes.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!