Cumin Pork Chops with Root Vegetables
- 3 parsnips peeled and chopped
- 2 large beets peeled and chopped
- 3 medium carrots peeled and chopped
- 1 large orange peeled and segmented
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil melted
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 4 pork chops 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a baking dish, arrange parsnips, beets, carrots and orange segments; drizzle with the melted coconut oil then season with salt and pepper. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle both sides of pork chops with cumin, coriander, salt and pepper.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Sear pork chops for 3 to 4 minutes per side or until slightly brown and pan drippings are beginning to caramelize.
- Remove baking dish from oven and arrange pork chops on the bed of vegetables; return to the oven and bake for 10 minutes or until centers of the pork chops read 145 degrees on a meat thermometer.
- Allow vegetables and chops to rest for about 10 minutes before serving.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Steamed green beans and Faux-Tay-Toes (steam cauliflower till tender; drain; mash with ghee, salt and pepper to taste till you get a mashed potatoes texture). NUTRITION: 455 Calories; 26g Fat; 23g Protein; 34g Carbohydrate; 9g Dietary Fiber; 63mg Cholesterol; 152mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain (Starch); 2 1/2 Lean Meat; 3 Vegetable; 1/2 Fruit; 3 1/2 Fat.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!