- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 4 leaves fresh sage (or more to taste)
- 4 thin slices prosciutto (or more to taste)
- 3/4 cup grated fresh parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter divided
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup dry white wine or dry vermouth
- 1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth or use homemade
- 1 lemon quartered
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- COOKING INSTRUCTIONS: Place chicken between sheets of heavy-duty plastic wrap and pound to flatten to cutlets. Place a sage leaf (or two) and a slice (or two) of prosciutto on top, pressing prosciutto to adhere to the cutlets and trimming to fit, if necessary.
- Place the Parmesan cheese in a shallow dish; dredge chicken until well coated on both sides. Heat 1 tablespoon of butter and the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until butter begins to foam. Add chicken cutlets, prosciutto sides up; cook until chicken juices run clear and lightly browned. Turn off the heat then transfer chicken to a platter and cover to keep warm, but do not remove the pan from the stove.
- Place the pan over medium-high heat; add wine (or vermouth) and whisk up all of the browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Continue to cook until mixture is reduced by half. Add broth, return mixture to a boil and cook again until reduced by half.
- Remove pan from heat and swirl in remaining butter; check for seasoning then pour sauce over chicken cutlets. Garnish each serving with a lemon wedge.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Add whole wheat couscous. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure prosciutto, wine (or vermouth) and broth are gluten free. VEGETARIAN: Use veggie burgers instead of chicken. NUTRITION: Per Serving: 829 Calories; 37g Fat; 110g Protein; 4g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 285mg Cholesterol; 6570mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 15 1/2 Lean Meat; 0 Fruit; 2 ½ Fat.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!