Black Bean and Sausage Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion diced
- 5 cloves garlic diced
- 1 large carrot chopped
- 1 stalk celery chopped
- 6 sausages spicy or sweet, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 15-oz. cans black beans drained and rinsed
- 5 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup low fat sour cream
- In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium heat and saute onion, garlic, carrot and celery 5 to 7 minutes. Add sausages and saute 5 to 7 more minutes until browned. Add cumin, chili powder, sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste, black beans and chicken broth and simmer for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Serve soup with sour cream.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Sliced beef steak tomatoes and warm buttered corn muffins. VEGETARIAN: Use soy sausage instead of sausage links and vegetable broth instead of chicken broth. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure the chicken broth and sour cream are gluten free. NUTRITION: 507 Calories; 19g Fat; 31g Protein; 55g Carbohydrate; 13g Dietary Fiber; 27mg Cholesterol; 734mg Sodium. Exchanges: 3 Grain (Starch); 2 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Vegetable; 3 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!