- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 large eggplant chopped
- 2 large red bell peppers seeded and chopped
- 1 large zucchini chopped
- 1 15-oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes or to taste
- 1 cup black olives pitted, halved
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 pound penne pasta cooked according to package directions
- 3/4 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- In a large saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat and saute onion and garlic for 5 minutes, add eggplant, peppers, zucchini, tomatoes, red pepper flakes, olives and sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste and simmer for 20 minutes until vegetables are fork tender.
- Add cooked pasta to pot and stir to combine.
- Serve with parmigiano-reggiano cheese.
SERVING SUGGESTION: A big salad (lettuce -not iceberg-, salad veggies and salad dressing). VEGETARIAN: No changes necessary. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure crushed tomatoes and penne are gluten free. NUTRITION: 387 Calories; 6g Fat; 12g Protein; 72g Carbohydrate; 7g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 299mg Sodium. Exchanges: 3 1/2 Grain (Starch); 2 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 1 Fat.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!