Mushroom and Mozzarella Burgers
- 1 1/2 pounds extra lean ground beef
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 small clove garlic minced
- 1/2 tablespoon coconut oil
- 4 large Portobello mushroom caps
- 1/2 large onion sliced
- 1/4 cup mixed spring lettuce
- 4 slices fresh mozzarella cheese 1/4 inch–thick
- In a medium bowl, mix beef, salt, pepper and garlic. Form beef mixture into patties. Heat grill to high heat and place burgers on the grill. Cook for 10 minutes on each side, until burgers reach desired level of doneness.
- In a large skillet, over medium heat, heat coconut oil. To the skillet, add the mushrooms and onion.
- Season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste and cook for 5 minutes, until vegetables are tender.
- Place burgers on mushrooms and top with cheese, lettuce, onion and serve.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Turnip fries (peel turnips and cut into “fries”; toss with olive oil and bake on a cookie sheet in a preheated 375-degree oven, turning once until tender. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste). GLUTEN FREE: No changes necessary. NUTRITION: 509 Calories; 35g Fat; 39g Protein; 10g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 130mg Cholesterol; 179mg Sodium. Exchanges: 5 Lean Meat; 2 Vegetable; 4 Fat
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!