Moroccan Beef Chili
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pounds beef chuck roast cut into 2 inch cubes
- 2 large red onions chopped
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes or to taste
- 2 large sweet potatoes peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 15-oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1 15-oz. can chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 2 cups low sodium beef broth
- 1/2 cup red wine or low sodium beef broth
- Coarse sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat and sear beef 3 to 4 minutes until browned.
- In a large slow cooker, add beef and remaining 13 ingredients (onions through pepper) and cook on low for 8 hours until beef is cooked through.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Warm buttered corn muffins. VEGETARIAN: Use portobello mushrooms instead of beef chuck and adjust cook time. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure tomatoes, beef broth and red wine are gluten free. NUTRITION: 508 Calories; 24g Fat; 29g Protein; 43g Carbohydrate; 9g Dietary Fiber; 66mg Cholesterol; 186mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain (Starch); 3 Lean Meat; 2 1/2 Vegetable; ½ Fruit; 3 Fat.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!