Mexican Beef Stew
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pounds beef chuck roast cut into 2 inch cubes
- 2 large red onions chopped
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 2 chipotle chili peppers in adobo sauce chopped
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 cup dark beer or low sodium beef broth
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 15-oz. can plum tomatoes chopped
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat and sear beef 3 to 4 minutes until browned.
- In a large slow cooker, beef and remaining 8 ingredients (onions through tomatoes) and cook on low for 8 hours until beef is cooked through.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Whole grain rolls with butter and a big salad (lettuce -not iceberg-, salad veggies and salad dressing). VEGETARIAN: Use mushrooms instead of beef chuck and adjust cook time. Use vegetable broth if not using dark beer. GLUTEN FREE: Make sure chipotle peppers, beer (or beef broth) and plum tomatoes are gluten free. NUTRITION: 438 Calories; 31g Fat; 26g Protein; 12g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 88mg Cholesterol; 162mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain (Starch); 3 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Vegetable; 4 Fat.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!