Herb Roasted Chicken and Parsnips
- 1 large whole chicken neck and giblets removed from cavity
- 2 tablespoons ghee
- 1 teaspoon ground sage
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 large parsnips peeled and chopped
- 1 large onion peeled and chopped
- Place chicken on a large cutting board.
- In a small bowl, combine next 5 ingredients (ghee through garlic); rub mixture over the surface of the chicken.
- In a large crock cooker, place parsnips and onion then place chicken on top.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours or until chicken is fork-tender and vegetables are tender.
- Remove meat from chicken carcass and serve the vegetables on the side.
SERVING SUGGESTION: Add steamed broccoli spears and Faux-Tay-Toes (steam cauliflower till tender; mash with ghee, salt and pepper to taste until you get a mashed potatoes texture). NUTRITION: 469 Calories; 30g Fat; 30g Protein; 18g Carbohydrate; 5g Dietary Fiber; 158mg Cholesterol; 120mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain (Starch); 4 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 3 1/2 Fat.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!